Monday, 5 July 2010

To run or not to run...

I've been up for 9 hours and so far the plan is going as.... well, it's going as planned really! Though I'm already starting to feel like I can't be bothered running, but what else would I do with the time spent not running? Not a lot. Running it is then.

Today was a porridge day. I picked up "jumbo" oats by mistake, not a fan of these as porridge so think I'll get another bag of regular porridge oats and keep these for baking. Went for the usual half a banana and rice milk, added about 1 tbsp of cocoa and berries flax stuff which was very nice though a bit weird with the texture of those oats

Morning snack was some about to turn bad strawberries - just how I like them! No nuts as planned because breakfast was so filling.

Lunch - salad with prawns today.

Started with a layer of little gem and spring onions

Added some carrot and courgette "noodles"

I'm thinking these would taste great seasoned and cooked in the over "curly fires" style

Added yellow pepper and some carrot chunks

Topped with pesto prawns - I accidentally bought pesto topped humus - I do not like that combination! I scraped off the pesto and used it for my prawns instead

Also drizzled on a little EVOO for moistness. It was a great salad but there was too much, I was losing the will to go on towards the end. I also find it a bit tricky trying to eat salad out of a high sided plastic box with a narrow plastic fork. I blame being left-handed. It makes simple things so awkward.

And have just enjoyed some orgasmic organic coconut yogurt with pumpkin seeds

Exactly 120g of it apparently

Also have some hazelnut butter and an apple to eat before I go for a run

Not picked out my apple yet - green or red, green red??

11 comments:

1. Yummy eats, how do you make your courgette and carrot noodles? Hope you enjoyed your run x x

ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte Ramsay5 July 2010 at 21:32

Hi Stella,

Good job (goodness I sound American!) on getting your butt out for a run when you didn't really feel like it - I hope you feel suitably smug for having done so.

Also curious as to how you make the courgette and carrot 'noodles' as I don't like courgette but I could eat it when broken into small noodly strings like that!

P.S. Yay to left handers :-)

xx

ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of oven roasting the spiralised veggies! I've just bought a spiraliser and will be trying out that idea - curly fries here we come! x

ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! How was your run??? How do you make your noodles? Ive got a tool that makes spiral out of a cucumber but doesnt work haha and i doubt it is the same thing anyways.

ReplyDelete
  5. I must get me one of the spiralizers, I've seen JAG use hers too. I agree they would be nice in curly fries style, quite nice for nibbles for drinks? I've seen parsnip and beeteroot crisps so they would deffo do for a crisp style snack, also sometimes chefs do those noodles deep fried on top of food for a crunch element and again your theory would be pretty good there too with veggies.

ReplyDelete
  6. StellaDoesHealthyEating6 July 2010 at 09:57

I used this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026RQ1BM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000DDVYE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0WY5P4QGK1W0CWM0RNDD

Not as good as the larger spiralisers but is much smaller and more convenient as I have too many kitchen gadgets! You do get left with a pointy chunk at the end but I just chop it up and add it to my salad

ReplyDelete
  7. StellaDoesHealthyEating6 July 2010 at 10:00

I can't wait to try it - I can feel all virtuous next to my boyfriend with his frozen curly fries :D

ReplyDelete
  8. StellaDoesHealthyEating6 July 2010 at 10:00

Hi Charlotte!
    I'm so glad I did run, I was so not in the mood and kept thinking of reasons not to, but felt so much better after than I would have if I didn't go!
    Check link in above comment for the noodles!

Are you a fellow lefty then? I'm always curious about other left handers - can you use left handed scissors? They always made me use them in primary school but I could never make them work :( they just bent the paper!

ReplyDelete
  9. StellaDoesHealthyEating6 July 2010 at 10:02

Hi Helene - I posted the link to the spiraliser I bought in the reply to the first comment - it did take me a bit of getting used to, it was just grating carrot very finely at first but I soon got the hang of it!

My run was good thank you - didn't go as planned but I still enjoyed it!

ReplyDelete
  10. StellaDoesHealthyEating6 July 2010 at 10:03

Good idea for healthy nibbles and I like the idea of frying some - would be nice on top of a piece of pan fried fish I think, or steak!

ReplyDelete
  11. Charlotte Ramsay6 July 2010 at 11:20

Thanks for the link.

I am indeed a fellow lefty, and nope, I couldn't get my head around those left handed scissors either! I don't use a knife and fork the lef thanded way either - must have been the forceful use of right hands at primnary school, but they just didn't win with the use of a pen! Am just left handed at everything else :-)

xx